Everyone needs a go-to dip to have for a special occasion, one that requires little work but tastes like a million bucks! NYE is a couple of days away and then game day will be right around the corner, so I thought it would be the perfect time to introduce this creamy feta dip with toasted pita chips.
This dip is so creamy and full of flavor, a little swipe goes a long way. Feta cheese is the shining star along with Greek yogurt and some cream cheese, it’s the perfect blend for a nice smooth dip.
The feta dip itself can be served with an array of fresh sliced veggies, for a healthier version or with my favorite dipper, these toasted pita chips.
I was introduced to this way of preparing the pita chips by a friend of mine years ago, she made it for a girls lunch and we just couldn’t tear ourselves away from them. The chips are thin and crispy but yet sturdy enough to hold up well when dipping.
I’ve made them many times since and they’re always a hit!
One bag of pita yields so many chips! You’re going to cut the pita into 6 or 8 strips with scissors, then snip the tops and end off so you can open it up.
One strip will give you 2 thin pieces. So for 1 whole pita you can get 12 to 16 chips out of it, so if you do a whole bag that’s quite a few chips!
Then place the inside rougher side up on a baking sheet and brush each strip with oregano infused olive oil.
I think what makes these so special is definitely the shape and the thinness, as opposed to the thicker triangle shaped ones, and of course the olive oil flavor coming through. I can’t say enough about these dippers, they’re amazing!
They’re the perfect accompaniment to the creamy feta dip. But don’t get me wrong, honestly they go well with any dip! Think crab, shrimp, hummus, white bean, onion, spinach artichoke, I could go on and on.
I garnished the top of my dip with olive oil, parsley, red pepper flakes, pistachios and olives but be creative and do what you like.
I would encourage you to take the time and make these chips, you won’t be disappointed, it’s the ultimate combo along with the creamy feta dip.
They can be made well in advance and they stay perfect for up to 3 weeks, that is if they last that long! Once you put them out you’ll see them disappear!
I like to store them in a tin can layered between wax paper.
- 8 oz. feta, good quality Greek in brine, patted dry
- 4 oz. full fat cream cheese, room temp
- ¼ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of oregano infused olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- FOR THE TOASTED PITA CHIPS
- 1 bag of fresh, Greek pita
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- a light sprinkling of kosher salt to top the chips before toasting
- In a small bowl add the oil and oregano together and let it sit for 15 minutes to infuse.
- Then in food processor first add the feta to break it down, then add in the cream cheese, yogurt, lemon juice and garlic.
- Give it all a whirl until it’s nice and creamy.
- Remove from processor and place into a serving bowl and garnish with a little of the olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, olives or whatever you like.
- If making the pita chips, take 1 pita at a time, with a scissor cut 6 to 8 strips then snip the top and bottom off of each strip so you can gently open up the pita and have 2 pieces. (See blog post for example)
- Continue cutting the pita into chips then brush each one on the inner rough side with the oregano infused olive oil.( see blog post for visual)
- Place onto a rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle them all lightly with a little kosher salt, then into a 400 degree oven for 7 or 8 minutes until golden. Ovens vary so watch closely, you want them golden not burnt, they cook fast.
- Remove chips and place on a rack to cool.
- Chips can be stored in a tin can layered between wax paper for up to 3 weeks.